Monday, February 7, 2011

Trembling Foundation

Hello guys this is my update as promised after blocks. The most exciting thing that was supposed to happen were the Block Exams were scheduled to start on Friday Jan 28 with Histology and Medical Ethics and Monday Jan 31, were supposed to be the Anatomy lecture exam in the morning Embryology after lunch, then anatomy practical in the afternoon to close off  Block 1. Prior to blocks we are given the Thursday before the exam off as our version of "dead week". During this day we had an ethics quiz and spent the day reviewing material for Friday exams. Friday's exams occurred with out a hitch and the weekend was met with devotion and then a trip to Shoal Bay where we met other MD2's and MD4's just enjoyed what the beach can offer. I took my Sabbath nap and began my studies for Monday's examination after 7:00 p.m. and continued until the following events occured.

Sunday Jan 30
-Get an email  @ 9:00p.m. saying that exams are cancelled
-It took a while to change gears to study for embryology but I ended up studying until 3:00 a.m.


Monday Jan 31
-Found out why exam was cancelled. There was a change in personnel in who was going to teach Anatomy lectures
-Took embryo blocks, anatomy practical was cancelled as well.
-Blew off steam @ Cap Juluca
-Tons of fish at the shore, mostly butterfish

Tuesday Febuary 1
-8:40 a.m. Earthquake @ ST.Kitts  felt for 5 seconds. No structural damage although it measured at magnitude 5.2 on the richter scale  follow the link below for details on the seismic event. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usb0001829.php
-Everyone on the island was fine
-No anatomy lecture or practical, due to change of teachers
-Interesting discussion @ ethics class made the afternoon interesting
-Tried out Tasty's restaurant with some classmates. It was very good, the butterfish that I had was quite exquisite.
-recieved email that Anatomy lecture and practical were going to be held the next day
-reviewed over anatomy lecture and practical materials (it wasnt fun to have a block exam thrown in your face  just for fun) <--(hint of sarcasm)


Wednesday Febuary 2
-New Teacher proctors anatomy lecture exam in the morning and the lab practical
-School went on as normal

Thursday Febuary 3
-Class went by as normal
-New Anatomy teacher started lecture on lower limb. It was a return to the normal schedule

Friday Febuary 4
-Histology lecture went pretty deep into student participation with more students asking questions
-Anatomy teacher thoroughly covered the lumbosacral plexus
-Ken's BBQ chicken for lunch always a welcome sight
-Played basketball in the afternoon with the MD2's as per tradition every friday afternoon
-I get asked by locals how do I get my hair to stand up, I told em that I play with electrical outlets on my spare time LoL.

Saturday Febuary 5
-Listened to audioverse sermon regarding Prayer in Medicine http://www.audioverse.org/sermons/recordings/2777/why-is-the-new-england-journal-of-medicine-publishing-on-prayer-.html
This creature said "Happy Sabbath" to me right infront of my dining table

-Relaxed @ shoalbay for the entire afternoon. MD2 student celebrated her birthday there towards the end.
Everyone had a grand ole time
The path to the unknown

-Locals already know me and some of my classmates by name
-Missed out on the student potluck, but I heard positive reviews on the event.
-Slept @ 9:00 p.m.

Sunday Febuary 6
-Woke up @ 4:00 a.m.
-Started to construct lower limb anatomy notes
-worked out 5:00a.m. - 5:30a.m.
-5:30a.m. - 10:00a.m. = Breakfast, laundry, apartment cleanup
-10:00a.m.- 11:00a.m. = stocked up on groceries, going to experiment in making poutine
-11:00a.m. - 1:00 p.m. = ate lunch at the chinese restaurant(best chicken wings on the island) finished shopping for supplies this week.
-1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. = folded laundry, and continued on lower leg notes. Drove friends to superbowl party @ sandy ground
-6:00 p.m. - Now = studying embryo, and anatomy and completing this blog

That's how my week has progressed everyone. I am battling the bug that's been goin around the island with OJ, H2O, Multivitamins, and sheer will power (LOL) but some how being near the beach helps this bug disappear. May I request that you guys pray for my family as they do their best to support my education and that both my family and I stay relatively healthy during my stay here. A new week is about to start and I am about to change gears and prep for Histology tommorow. As far as my block exam results, I passed all of exams this first block. I pray that everything gets re-organized at school and that everyone have a safe week. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment