Sunday, January 23, 2011

The importance of Internet to a Medical School Student

"FREEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM" - Mel Gibson as William Wallace in the motion picture Braveheart

The quote above is what I yell every time the weekend has come. It gives me an opportunity to rest, relax and reflect on the significant events during the two weeks that have gone down since my last post. To me I like to post my events like a little grocery list so The flow might not be as smooth as some would like but this is how I think and this how I write. I'm not trying to win a Pullitzer but I intend to give a progress report to my friends family and the anonymous fans that I may have =).  Here they are as it follows: 

Jan 11-Jan16

  • This was the introductory week to medical school. As most schools we didn't have our full day's worth of class because we did not have lab this week, but the class load and intensity was there. The subjects that we started this week 
    • M-W-F =  Histology, Anatomy, Embryology
    • T-Th = Histology, Anatomy, Medical Ethics
  • From my perspective, the classes that gave me the most anxiety before taking them was Histology and Embryology, but after the first lectures in every class I felt the anxiety level went down because of the knowledge that I gained from the classes that I took such as General Biology, Anatomy, Physiology, and Bacteriology and Virology as an undergraduate at Southwestern Adventist University (if you are a pre-med student there please take those class when offered) prepared me for the first week of school and gave me a pretty strong base in the first week's worth of lectures. They just went into more depth into the topics that you cover in those classes. 
  • My study pattern has evolved from cramming the day before the test too methodical chunking of information everyday during the week. 
    • Here's my daily schedule during the week
      • 4:30 a.m.-7:30 a.m. = Workout, Daily devotions, Breakfast, Study, walk to the bus-stop
      • 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. = School 
      • 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. = Naptime & dinner
      • 7:30 p.m. - 11:30 p.m. = Studying
  • I had my first medical school quiz which was on Histology. I thought I did bad on it but I was around what class average was
  • Played Basketball with the MD2's it was a good way to break the ice with em and as well as get to hangout with the MD1's who played 
  • A group of us rented the car to do grocery shopping and take a break at Shoalbay during the weekend
  • The SDA churches here had a gathering in the middle of town, we had worship and we passed out tracts to the community.
Jan 17- Jan 23
  • First full week of school including lab. It was a rather tough. I found myself taking nap with the schedule stated above. 
  • I had my first quizes in anatomy and embryo. Thank God I did relatively well on those
  • Anatomy Lab was similar to the Cadaver Lab @ UTPA, except we had our cadaver at the beginning of the semester instead of midterms. We are focusing on the upper limb for the Block Exams and the Practical. Sooo much to review for but I just gotta do my best and God will take care of the rest.
  • The 2nd histology quiz rocked my world, but It shows my weak points and Im going to rectify them before Blocks arrive
  • Mad props goes to Lidiya for setting up The friday barbeque lunches delivered to the school. I dont have to worry about making lunch on friday. Thanks to Lorne for giving the anatomy review during lunch time. It was appreciated
  • Friday Afternoon Basketball with the MD2's always start the weekend off correctly.  
  • Went to Shoal Bay once again. It's my favorite spot to just sit and relax and not think about medical school for 3 hours. 
  • I think I officially had my first migraine episode this afternoon (jan23).  I took a nap for 4 hours and I am a little bit better but I still have a throbbing headache. 
  • My Classmates Taiba and Neha  have been pretty awesome in letting me come down to their apartment to leach on their internet and download the lecture notes. They also feed me XD bahahahhaha. I have been blessed with good classmates awesome land lady, and genuinely friendly people who are willing to help us medical students do errands around town such as going to the post office, dropping us off to the car rental places and giving us rides home outside of the scheduled times the bus takes us home. 
  • Preparing for Anatomy quiz and the embryology. ethics quizzes for the week . The weekend will be capped off with the start of block exams. Please pray for my classmates and I so that we may relatively do well on the exams. 
    • Jan 28 = Histology and Ethics block exams
    • Jan 31 = Anatomy (lecture), Embryology, Anatomy Lab practical)
  • All of the teachers are pretty helpful soo it makes medical school in a foreign country a tad more bearable =)
Well that's whats goin on so far folks I hope you enjoy this and find this informative. Take care and God bless. Expect the next post after blocks. 



1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing on this valuable source of information. I really appreciate it.

    Internet Blog

    ReplyDelete